Friday, March 15, 2013

Freezing in Bulk and Food Diaries

I keep meaning to buy in bulk and prepare a week or more worth of food at a time, but I can never seem to just get around to doing it! Either I only have enough money to buy a small amount of food, and then it barely sits in the fridge long enough, never mind needing to be frozen.

If you are a raw feeder, how do you prepare your meals for the week? Do you do the lazy (and yet more work) way like I do and just pop a package in the fridge when you know you need it, or do you package and freeze or do you just freeze and then thaw and weigh what you need once it's thawed? We have a small deep freeze on the back porch and a small freezer in fridge, and I feel I never have enough room. I am considering buying my sister's old freezer off her (or doing a switch, she wants a smaller deep freeze and I want a bigger one lol). Her freezer had a lot of meat which went bad in it because the freezer was unplugged, I'm not sure it's been cleaned or not. I don't think so, which means that would be a lot of work, but a freezer fit for dog food!

Do you also keep a food diary?
I use to. I tried really hard. I keep kicking myself for not updating it because my dog will have a health problem show up and I think "oh god, what food did it?" and have to try to remember what I fed them recently! I keep the log in the kitchen, it's right there, I just don't write in it when I should!

Kibble is far easier, I will give it that... but seeing Unit's beautiful fur coming back in makes all this work completely worth it.

Left: Unit's fur in May 2012

Below: This is the most recent photo I have on this computer that shows her fur. You can see it's still patchy but there's actually FUR in the patches now and not bald spots! This photo was taken January 2013. I will try to get some new photos that show her fur better and post them soon :) And yes, she loves her kitty cat hehe

1 comment:

  1. prepared meals vs just haveing freseh in the fridge. I do both really. If I get something in that I know I want to use right away i do not bother freezing it. But when I have large items I take the time to part it into meal size bags. I do 100gram or 200gram bags since each cat eats roughly 100gram. Mine are not keen on rabbit(yet :P) so I pack it in 100gram, that way I can mix it with something else they do like. Since i shop at BARF stores a lot of their products are loose frozen items that I can just weigh out 200gram for the next day or any other amount I want.

    ReplyDelete